Obtaining Australian Citizenship is a 4 step process;
There are various ways of applying for Australian Citizenship. They are listed below.
- Child adopted outside Australia by an Australian citizen
- Child aged 15 years or under or an unaccompanied minor
- Child aged 16 or 17
- Child born outside Australia to an Australian citizen
- Child of a former Australian citizen
- Commonwealth Child Migration scheme arrival
- Migrant with permanent residence
- New Zealand citizen living in Australia
- Person born in Papua before independence in 1975
- Resume Australian citizenship
- Spouse or partner of an Australian citizen
- Refugee and humanitarian entrants
You can also apply:
- for evidence of Australian citizenship
- to renounce Australian citizenship
- for confirmation of the Australian citizenship status of a deceased person
The most common Australian Citizenship application is for new migrants AND eligible New Zealand citizens residing in Australia [‘Migrant with permanent residence]
To be eligible you must be;
- be a permanent resident
- meet the residence requirements
- be of good character
- intend to live or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
Step 1 – Eligibility
General eligibility criteria for Australian citizenship, that is, you:
are a migrant who is a permanent resident
- satisfy the residence requirement (see Step 2)
- are likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia, and
- are of good character.
Step 2 – Residence requirement
The residence requirement is based on the time you have lived in Australia and the time you have spent outside Australia
General residence requirement
Permanent residents must:
- have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
- not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.
Special residence requirements
Special residence requirements may apply to you if:
- you are seeking to undertake activities that are supported by particular organisations, such as the Australian Olympic Committee, or
- you have been engaged in particular kinds of work for a total of 2 in the past 4 years, that required you to travel outside Australia.
Defence service requirement
You meet the residence requirement if you have completed relevant defence service, which is if you:
- were appointed, enlisted or transferred into any of the permanent forces or reserves of the Commonwealth of Australia, and
- have served 90 days in the permanent forces, or
- have served a total of 90 paid service days in the navy, army or air force reserve, or
- were discharged from defence service as medically unfit for service as a result of that service.
For more detailed information please contact us.